Welcome to the Sheppard Group website
Our research involves the development of new reactions in organic chemistry and their application to the synthesis of biologically active molecules. We are also interested in the application of organic chemistry in the study of biological processes. We are based in the chemistry department at UCL, situated in the heart of London.
- Welcome back to Laure who is rejoining the group as a PDRA.
- Our paper on the direct amidation of unprotected amino acids using the the Sheppard Amidation Reagent has been published in Chemical Communications. This paper features work by Rachel, Valerie, Marco and Pavel.
- Samantha and Valerie presented their work at the UCL Chemistry 3rd year PhD organic synposium on 22nd June.
- Congratulations to Marco who won the prize for the best organic poster at the departmental poster session on Tuesday 21st June.
- Tom is now a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Sally presented her work on the sustainable synthesis of polysubstituted benzenes at the ACS 20th Green Chemistry and Engineering Conference in Portland, Oregon on June 15th.
- Tom and Ruth's son Matthew was born on Saturday 14th of May!
- Tom gave a talk entitled "Exploiting Selective Dehydration Reactions for Sustainable Synthesis" at the University of Strathclyde on March 31st.
- Our paper in collaboration with Richard Grainger (Birmingham) has just been published in the special issue of Advanced Synthsis & Catalysis on Gold Catalysis. The paper features work carried out by Matt (former PhD student in the group) and Samantha on the regioselective hydration of propargylic alcohols.
- Fabiana's work on the transketolase-catalysed conversion of L-arabinose into L-glucoheptulose has just been published in Green Chemistry.
- Sally and Fabiana's work on the
synthesis of polysubstituted benzenes from furfurals has just been published in Green Chemistry.
- Our work in collaboration with Paul Murray from Catalysis Consulting involving the development of a new PCA solvent map for reaction optimisation has just been published in Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry. The article was featured on the front cover of the journal with a design incorporating a photo taken by Tom of the ridge running between Herzogstand and Heimgarten on the edge of the Bavarian alps.
- Fil's work on the asymmetric synthesis of secondary alcohols using organocatalysis has been published in Synlett.
- Welcome to Patrick, Billy and Karl who are carrying out MSci research projects in the group.
- Welcome to Charlotte and Callum who are starting PhDs in the group; also Joe who is returning to the group to carry out his PhD on the ISMB Wellcome Trust Chemical Biology program after carrying out a rotation project with us last year.
- Rob's work on selective dehydration of sugars to give tetrahydrofurans has been published in Chemistry - A European Journal.
- Valerie's work on direct amidation reactions of pharmaceutically relevant acids and amines has been published in Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry.
- Congratulations to Rob who has passed his PhD viva after completing some minor corrections.
- Our review on Palladium-catalysed oxidation of alkenes has just been published in Synthesis.
- Sam, Rachel and Laure's work on a chiral aldehyde for measuring the enantiopurity of primary amines has just been published in Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry.
- Tom gave a talk entitled "Water Driven Chemistry: Activation and Formation of Carbon-Oxygen Bonds" at Stockholm University on Thursday 11th of June.
- James won a prize for his talk "Investigating the Potential Role of Boron Compounds in Prebiotic Peptide Synthesis" at the 8th London SCI Undergraduate Research Symposium at Imperial College London on Tuesday 6th of June.
- Tom gave a talk entitled "Water Driven Chemistry: Activation and Formation of Carbon-Oxygen Bonds" at a symposium organised by Heptares at Biopark, Welwyn Garden City on Tuesday 2nd of June.
- Jarryl's work with Neil Millar's group on allosteric modulators of α7 nicotinic receptors has been published in Neuropharmacology.
- Rob gave a talk at the SCI Postgraduate Symposium (South) on Thursday 21st May at the University of Southampton.
- Tom gave a talk entitled "Water Driven Chemistry: Activation and Formation of Carbon-Oxygen Bonds" at the University of Durham Tuesday 24th of March
- Rob's work on the synthesis of endo cantharimides has been published in Chemistry - A European Journal.
- Persis and Jarryl's work with Jas in Neil Millar's group on the synthesis and pharmacological properties of TQS analogues has been published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry
Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 2467 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org